3 June 2014

Shrine




Is it Prog? YES

And so it comes to be that a chance encounter once again introduces me to another brilliant group. It was whilst re-homing some surplus drums that I started chatting to drummer Liam Kearley. We exchanged band names, and I started listening to Shrine's 'Closer To The Sun' EP.

Blimey was I blown away by this one.



Shrine are a four piece band from Brighton who have already received high acclaim from the likes of Metal Hammer, Thrash Hits and BBC Radio1's D.P. Carter, and I hear they've bagged a slot at Knebworth this year too. These days it is very difficult (and I would say wrong) to pigeonhole any group into a single genre. These guys cover many bases by branding themselves as somewhere between math rock, aggressive hardcore and post rock. They are indeed all of those things, sometimes all at once, but to me their outside-the-box composition and experimentation grants them that all important Prog status.

The first thing that struck me was the sheer tightness of this band. The music is intricate and complex, but still powerful and engaging. It takes a great deal of skill to be able to pull off this kind of thing, and Shrine are faultless. If you're into Mastodon but fancy something more precise and varied, check these guys out.

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more in the future. Tight as f**k, lads, keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ta.